Desktop.ini is a computer virus. A computer virus is a program that has the ability to copy itself and spread from one computer to another. Computer viruses are generally designed to complete some malicious act. For example, a computer virus may slow your computer, disable certain programs, change your desktop and Internet settings, cause your computer to crash, make your disk drives inaccessible or flood your computer with pop-up advertisements. While it is best to prevent viruses from ever entering your computer, if you get a virus you should remove it as quickly as possible.
Delete Infected Files
Click on the “Start” menu.
- Right-click on the file that appears in the results list, then click “Delete.”
End Infected Processes
- Press “Ctrl + Alt + Delete.”
- Click on the “Task Manager.”
- Click on the “Processes” tab.
- Right-click on “Desktop.ini,” and click “End Process.”